Breakfast needs to consist of 3 key components: calcium, fruit, and fiber. Protein is good but not necessary.
- 1 cup 1% milk or equivalent for calcium
- 1 to 2 servings of 3/5 Rule grain ( 1 slice of bread = 1 serving, ½ cup of cereal = 1 serving)
- 1 to 2 servings of fruit (½ cup = 1 serving, a whole piece of fruit = 1 serving)
Fruit provides energy from natural sugars and are loaded with antioxidants and vitamins. Fiber is crucial for keeping the digestive system clean, lowering cholesterol, controlling blood sugar, and making you feel full.
- 3/5 cereal (Cheerios, Grape Nuts, Whole Wheat Chex ,Whole Wheat Wheaties, or Shredded Wheat) with 1% milk and fresh fruit (blueberry, strawberry, banana, mango, etc)
- Scrambled eggs (2), 2 slices 3/5 toast, a glass of 1% milk, and fresh fruit
- 2 slices 3/5 toast, a glass of 1% milk, and fruit
- 3/5 English muffin or 3/5 toast w/2 fried eggs, a glass of 1% milk, and fruit
Keep breakfast fast and boring. Get in the habit of having the same breakfast daily. Eggs for breakfast should be limited to every other day due to the high cholesterol in eggs. 3/5 cereal is the best choice. Mix it up a little bit with the fruit and the type of cereal.
- Fast and boring
- Eat within 1 hour of waking
- 8 ounces 1% milk or equivalent in calcium
- 1 to 2 servings of fruit (a serving of fruit = ½ cup)
- 1 to 2 servings of 3/5 Rule bread or grain ( 1 serving = 1 slice of toast or ½ cup cereal)